Wednesday 1 February 2012

Organic and geometric shapes

ORGANIC and GEOMETRIC SHAPES___________________________________

    A shape is an element of art. Specifically, it is an enclosed space, the boundaries of which are defined by other elements of art (i.e.: lines, colours, values, textures, etc.). Shapes are limited to two dimensions: length and width.

    1. Geometric shapes:
  • Are circles, rectangles, squares, triangles and so on - have the clear edges one achieves when using tools to create them. 
  • Most geometric shapes are made by humans, though crystals are also considered to be geometric despite the fact that they are made in nature. 
   2. Organic shapes:
  • Are shapes with a natural look and a flowing and curving appearance. 
  • Organic shapes and forms are typically irregular or asymmetrical.  
  • Organic shapes are associated with things from the natural world, like plants and animals.

Artists use organic shapes and geometric shapes in different ways:
  1. When attempting to create a piece that looks natural, flowing, soft or calming, organic shapes are generally the shapes of choice.
  2. When attempting to create a sense of chaos, anger, or rigidity, geometric shapes are used. Geometric shapes may also be used to create abstract interpretations of things that would normally be depicted as organic shapes.
Check the Artist's Toolkit webpage to learn more.

Exercise___________________________________________________________________

Make a composition with Organic and Geometric Shapes.

23 comments:

  1. As a lover of everything Art related I really enjoyed reading this. It was informative and interesting! Thank you for helping me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative.
    I was simply stumbling around google looking for a def. Of "geometric" that did NOT pertain to math!
    My face shape is round. "Geometric" styles r described ri be the best.
    Lol it finally clicked what that meant one i read your post!
    Geometric just means a form or shape that has consistent lines that are easy to identify.
    No wispy blowing belle hair for me!

    Thnx again.
    God bless✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was indeed very informative because i always had an opposite perception about the manner artists used both these shapes.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for taking your time to make this as it is very clear and helped my understanding of these shapes improve heaps. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! In the last two weeks, two different master teachers who I was taking classes from have called me an organic artist. I assumed they were complimenting me and I responded as such. But I didn't really know what being organic meant.

    My medium is beads and they are, of course, very structured and rigid. But the shapes and forms I come out with are very flowing and extremely different than almost anyone I know.

    In the end, thanks to your post, I have found that I have received a very high compliment, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am the student of fourth year in architecture and after reading this i am thinking that i traveled from earth to sky with respect to this organic shapes and geometric shapes because in 4th year this is cleared to me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cool. I like this blog as whole

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much this helped me out alot with my work

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome learning of Art

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. this was very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi thanks,i got helped to settle an art question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog helped me so much in art class. I thank u so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Albrecht Durer he used organic or geometric shapes.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks because I have atleast solved my question

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is helpful. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks alot for helping me

    ReplyDelete